Manager- Patient Access
The Patient Access Manager reports directly to the Northern Light Health Associate Vice President of Patient Access. This position serves to improve the overall effectiveness of Revenue Cycle Patient Access policies, practices, and technology platforms for all NLH organizations. The primary responsibilities of this role are to serve as an internal subject matter expert and oversee all aspects of daily operations including supervising the activities of the on-site registration team(s), assist with the development of policies, procedures, and processes, and coordinate with integrated departments to ensure patient safety and patient satisfaction. The Patient Access Manager will provide direction and leadership for the Registration areas such as information desk, registration stations, emergency department, walk-in care locations, switchboard, and/or other staffed access points. This leader will support, track, manage, and champion Revenue Cycle Patient Access initiatives with emphasis on registration functions and downstream impact, sharing results with key stakeholders. This role will serve as a leading resource in the areas of process improvement, organizational development, change management, performance monitoring, and other analytics. This position will facilitate projects and will apply influential techniques to lead teams toward best practice solutions. Strong communication and leadership skills are required.
The Patient Access Manager will report to the Northern Light Health Associate Vice President of Patient Access. This role will collaborate with the other Revenue Cycle functions to engage appropriate resources and lead initiatives for registration related workflows and process improvement for the department, working to enhance financial clearance strategies. These tactics may involve the need to: gather requirements, analyze findings, design solutions, review specifications and implement new and improved processes, while maintaining ongoing measurements and tracking mechanisms. Effectiveness of this position will be measured in terms of management of teams to achieve measurable outcomes through productivity methods and KPI reporting, development of employee engagement and skillsets, as well as customer service satisfaction.
This position is a member of the NLH Revenue Cycle team. Duties may be changed or reassigned by the Vice President of Revenue Cycle as needs arise.
- Manages staff; interviews, hires, assigns, and directs work, while serving as a mentor for department staff, providing both reward and discipline appropriately.
- Holds staff accountable for progress of patient registration initiatives and implements quality management measures for productivity, time and attendance, and other team opportunities.
- Develops and maintains communication channels with staff through department meetings, email, and individual coaching.
- Collaborates with partnering departments to drive successful operational performance and to ensure clinical impact and patient safety are maintained.
- Champions patient facing registration initiatives and upholds customer service standards throughout.
- Works within the team to assist as needed, contributing to the overall success of the department.
- Reviews workflows to identify fragmented processes and makes recommendations for improvement. Provides consistent messaging and education on prioritization, both of workflows and initiatives.
- Ensures registration processes are in line with all state and federal requirements, and that HIPAA policies are maintained.
- Establishes and tracks key revenue cycle performance indicators and reports key findings to appropriate leadership.
- Manages department presentations and designs action plans as issues are identified within the area.
- Assists in the development of the operational budget and manages within the budget; monitoring expenses to support the department’s financial goals.
- Champions POS collections initiatives, to increase revenue at registration check-points.
- Leads the implementation, design and optimization of registration management software.
- Serves as a project facilitator for teams working on major, complex performance improvement efforts.
- Provides consistent rounding with immediate team, for professional development opportunities. Promotes a supportive and encouraging environment for staff.
- Oversees the handling of “special” requests, complaints, or inquiries regarding workflows, patient accounts, or changes to system processes, to ensure correct and satisfactory resolution.
- Coordinates the resolution of concerns timely, looking for a proactive approach to prevent reoccurrence.
Required Minimum Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Detailed knowledge of Revenue Cycle, specific to Scheduling functionality, approaches, workflows, and benchmark goals.
- Working knowledge of all functional areas of the revenue cycle.
- Ability to interpret an extensive variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schematic form. Analytical skills required to decipher data and share outcomes.
- Excellent communications skills, both oral and written.
- Intermediate Microsoft software knowledge and ability to train/assist end-users in applicable programs.
- Flexible and organized, to be able to react to ever changing priorities.
- Experience with NLH Software, data and business information is preferred.
Competencies and skills:
* Acts Strategic: Creates effective plans that anticipate future consequences and opportunities and is able to connect the day to day operations to longer-term objectives, shifts in the industry, and system goals.
* Demonstrates Adaptability: Learns quickly when facing a new problem or unfamiliar task; is flexible in their approach with changing priorities and ambiguity. Manages change effectively and does not give up during adversity. Capable of changing one's behavioral style and/or views in order to attain a goal. Absorbs new information readily and puts it into practice effectively.
* Develops Self and Others: Takes responsibility for engaging in professional self-development activities and programs. Strives to gain insight into their own values, strengths and weaknesses, interests and ambitions and takes action in order to enhance competencies and skills when possible. As a leader, encourages and guides employees towards growth opportunities to enhance performance and help them reach goals. Reviews and analyzes employees' strengths and weaknesses to distinguish their talents and development needs, and to ensure they are enhanced appropriately.
* Effectively Communicates: Listens, speaks and writes appropriately, using clear language. Communication methods are fitting to the message(s), audience, and situation and follow-ups are regular and timely. Shows that important (non-) verbal information is absorbed and understood and asks further questions to clarify when necessary. Expresses ideas and views clearly to others and has ability to adjust use of language to the audiences' level.
* Exercises Sound Judgment & Decision Making: Understands and processes complex information, which allows for appropriate and accountable conclusions. Does not react too quickly or slowly. Balances facts, goals, and potential approaches taking the appropriate criteria into account. Makes active decisions and commits oneself by communicating confidently and respectfully.
* Fosters Innovation: Employs and encourages the use of meaningful creativity in solving challenges. Proactively identifies opportunities and uses new approaches to enhance processes, systems and services. When appropriate, suggests or initiates new strategies, products, services, and markets.
* Seeks Process Improvement & Applies System Thinking: Possesses and gains insight into situations, problems and processes. Understands the interconnection between organizational elements. Deconstructs problems and systematically investigates the various components. Considers the impact of actions on the entire process/system. Detects problems and opportunities, recognizes important information, and links various data to trace potential causes and relevant details.
* Bachelor's Degree
* Continuous sitting.