The AmeriCorps Volunteer Coordinator serves as the representative of Reading Partners within the community, leading the charge in recruiting and onboarding volunteer tutors. Volunteer Coordinators also lead in executing community engagement initiatives in the region. No two days are alike for Volunteer Coordinators! Our top Volunteer Coordinators are ambassadors for service, demonstrate an excitement for community/volunteer recruitment and outreach, and strongly believe in our vision and values and are excited to share those with the community. Note that this role may shift as-needed based on how individual school environments shift given Covid-19.
What you’ll do and how you’ll do it:
Volunteer Recruitment and Engagement
- Lead Reading Partners’ efforts to recruit, onboard and train volunteer tutors to deliver our curriculum. Volunteer Coordinators demonstrate a high level of comfort with public speaking and create and implement effective recruitment and retention strategies.
Partnership Cultivation and Management
- Cultivate and manage a portfolio of community partners that serve as pipelines for Reading Partners’ tutor recruitment efforts.
Data entry & database management
- Volunteer Coordinators track new and returning volunteers through the process of becoming active volunteers. Stellar organizational skills are a must for accurate tutor and partnership record tracking, data management through Salesforce, and supporting the high volume of volunteer tutor calls and emails. VCs also complete weekly data auditing and consistent communication with volunteers to ensure a timely and positive experience for all volunteers.
You’ll be successful in this role if you:
- Root your service in our vision & values
- Possess a high school diploma or GED
- Hold US Citizenship or Permanent Resident Status
- Have not completed more than three (3) prior AmeriCorps or VISTA service terms
- Understand this position is an AmeriCorps service commitment and are dedicated to national and community service
- Are flexible given the ever-changing environment of serving in public schools, and are adaptable in both work style and work environment
- Pay strong attention to detail and manage competing priorities effectively
- Can quickly learn new technology systems like Salesforce and have a high level of comfort with Google Apps and Zoom Conferencing
- Are dedicated to successfully completing a full term of service
- Demonstrate a passion for working with children
Bonus Points if you:
- Are an AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alum/alumna
- Have experience volunteering with other community-based or education programs
What we offer:
- AmeriCorps members earn a living allowance totaling $23,750
- Eligible AmeriCorps members can earn an education award of $6,495 after successfully completing their service term
- AmeriCorps members are eligible for medical, dental, and vision coverage at no monthly cost for our members
- Childcare assistance is available through AmeriCorps for those who qualify.
- You may be eligible for student loan forbearance on federal student loans.
- We offer an exciting and dynamic culture, and we commit to providing ongoing professional development opportunities
- We offer scaffolded support to help navigate these and other service benefits
The Other Things You Need To Know:
- Service Terms: AmeriCorps members serve full-time (approximately 40 hours/week) from August or September, 2022 through June or July, 2023 and must commit to a service term of 1,700+ hours.
- Commuting: AmeriCorps members regularly travel to school sites throughout the week and need access to reliable transportation on a daily basis. AmeriCorps members also make occasional trips to regional offices and service day events. AmeriCorps members must live within commuting distance of the region in which they serve.
- National Days of Service: AmeriCorps members at Reading Partners join thousands of other members across the country to serve each year on 9/11, MLK Day, and during AmeriCorps Week. This is another opportunity to participate in the service movement across the country, and to directly support our communities in a variety of service projects.
- Reading Partners AmeriCorps Vaccination & Testing Policy: In the interest of keeping our students, AmeriCorps members, staff, and community safe, all members serving in school and community based roles are required to mask when in-person and are strongly encouraged to receive the COVID-19 vaccine unless a reasonable accommodation is requested and approved. Members who are vaccinated are able to serve in person immediately, provided they comply with the organization and service site’s mask requirements. Members who are not vaccinated, but will be serving in-person, will be asked to be vaccinated or submit to regular weekly COVID-19 testing. Individual districts may have additional COVID-19 requirements that AmeriCorps members must also abide by.