TRC Companies, Inc. a pioneer in ground-breaking scientific and engineering developments since the 1960s, is an engineering consulting firm that provides integrated services to the energy, environmental and infrastructure markets. TRC serves a broad range of clients in government and industry, implementing complex projects from initial concept to delivery and operation.
Our Environmental Sector delivers comprehensive environmental solutions to meet the full project lifecycle needs of clients in renewable energy, oil & gas, transportation, and manufacturing industries. With one of the largest multimedia air and land permitting and compliance teams in the country, we support client success in manufacturing and industry, liquids delivery and processing, natural gas storage and delivery, power generation and delivery, and transportation projects.
Environmental Technician - This position requires an individual who enjoys working daily (including weekend work) in the outdoors, is self-sufficient in remote, often inclement conditions, can work cooperatively with a variety of personalities, and is able to communicate effectively.
Primary responsibility will be to perform wildlife mortality monitoring surveys on an established wind farm site in central Ohio.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES & TASKS
- Walk approximately 3-5 miles of open ground within approximately 6-8 hours.
- Must be able to begin work on site near sunrise (predetermined daily meeting time). There will be a few delays before or during the season due to weather.
- Daily completion of datasheets (complete, neat, and submitted daily).
- Use of digital data collection to document field conditions and collect data.
- Collection of bird and bat carcasses.
- Use of equipment such as a compass, laser rangefinder, tablet & GPS.
- Will work in pairs with limited direct supervision.
- Frequent bending and kneeling when collecting carcasses.
- Some manual labor, including preparation, construction and maintenance of study plots.
- Daily interaction with wind farm personnel, co-workers, and landowners.
- Frequent communication via phone and email.
- Frequent communication with supervisor is required.
- Field location is near Bellefontaine and Kenton, OH.
- Positions are temporary and part time.
- 3-4 (6-10 hour) days per week, including at least one weekend a month.
- Daily start may vary due to weather or site conditions.
- Individual days of work on a given week vary and include at least one weekend a month.
- We work outdoors in all weather conditions (except per site safety requirements).
- Housing and travel cost is not provided.
- Appropriate dress is required. Boots and long pants are mandatory (no sleeveless shirts).
- Company provides all required safety gear (safety gear must be worn at all times on the site).
- Must have a working cell phone. Cell phones are used for required daily communication. You are not permitted to search while talking on the phone.
- Weapons are NOT permitted on the work site.
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Bachelor’s Degree in Environmental Science, Ecology, Biology, or related field is strongly preferred.
- Must have dependable transportation to and from work site:
- Must be personable, punctual, and flexible
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and have a cell phone with texting capabilities
- Must have regular access to internet for email
- Must be able follow directions even if they seem to be inefficient- following procedures is a critical part of this position
- Must be detail oriented; proper data collection is crucial
- Willing to learn new skills.
- Must be willing to work on weekends.
- Strong work ethic is important.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Working knowledge of navigating with a compass is a plus.
- Able to work alone while maintaining focus in an outdoor work environment.
- Needs to be able to maintain a good attitude/focus while working in bad weather under difficult conditions.
- Will do work that requires a committed effort and high level of motivation and focus.
- Able to tolerate working in inclement weather conditions such as heavy precipitation, high winds, prolonged exposure to intense sunlight, and hot, cold, and sometimes high humidity is common.
TRC is an equal opportunity employer: disability/veteran. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
TRC offers advancement potential and a competitive compensation and benefits package including a 401k plan with a company match. For more information, please visit our website at http://www.trccompanies.com/.